Tuesday 12 October 2010

Water Drum Kit



After using the visual programming software Max MSP within Performance Technology, I began searching through youtube to see if and how people are experimenting with this software? Furthermore, as a result of this, I should hopefully be aware of the possibilities that Max 5 will have upon my creativity, thus, this will be able to inspire me to create and develop possible ideas through using this software.

Piezo Sensor 
From researching the internet, I came across this video which is a perfect example of how Max 5 has allowed people to experiment and create virtual instruments through the use of a bowl of water and a piezo sensor! Taken from a youtube user named yopayet, the video shows how he has connected a piezo sensor to a bowl of water and used this along with a patch created on Max 5 which imitates the sounds of a drum kit. Through research, I found out that a piezo sensor is a sensor that generates electricity in response to applied stresses, from this when connected to the bowl of water through the vibrations enforced onto the water in the bowl, the sensor responds to this and sends information to the virtual drum patch made in Max 5 which imitates the sound of a drum kit.
Ultimately after only using Max 5 for a short amount time, I do not fully understand how yopayet managed to create this virtual instrument, however through emailing the youtube user and asking for information upon this video I should be able to gain information on this. As well as this, through learning about Max 5 and the the vast capabilities that this software has to offer, I will be able to create patches and connect electronic devices to this software to create interesting sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment